Terminally Incoherent

Utterly random, incoherent and disjointed rants and ramblings...

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Getting Linksys WPC54G v1.2 working under Kubuntu with ndiswrapper - Take 2

Since I'm at school right now, and I have access to their unencrypted wireless network, I decided to play around with my Linksys card again. As you may or may not remember, I after much fiddling and tinkering I conceded a defeat.

So I'm sitting in Red Hawk diner right now trying to eat their shitty pancakes. Don't get me wrong, usually I like their pancakes. But today they are extremely pukeworthy. I don't know - they either didn't mix the batter well enough, or got some eggshells into the mix or both. They also went crazy with Pam - I can actually taste it on the food. Either way, they are crunchy and weird tasting.

So anyways, I decided to channel my irritation into productive energy. I launched my lappy, plugged in the card and started fiddling:


root@inuyasha:~ # ndiswrapper -l
Installed ndis drivers:
lsbcmnds driver present, hardware present


Allright, so far so good. Ndiswrapper seems to be working and it is seeing the hardware. This was working the other day too, so it's no big success. Let's try waking up the card:


root@inuyasha:~ # iwconfig wlan0
Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 18 of Wireless Extension,
but has been compiled with version 17, therefore some driver features
may not be available...

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437 GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm
RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0




Ok, seems like the settings are fine. Now the moment of truth...



root@inuyasha:~ # ifup wlan0
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.0.1
Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Listening on LPF/wlan0/00:0c:41:cf:96:1c
Sending on LPF/wlan0/00:0c:41:cf:96:1c
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 4
DHCPOFFER from 130.68.32.33
DHCPREQUEST on wlan0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 130.68.32.33



Jackpot! I just got an IP and I'm surfing the net! Hell yeah! I did get the card working after all. Must be something with the WEP settings that I messed up last time. I'll have to try this again when I get there today.

Anyways, Linksys WPC54G v1.2 is officially working under Kubuntu with Ndiswrapper.

Oh, and my breackfast was free. Not bad! But I think I'd rather have a tasty one than a free one :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home