Terminally Incoherent

Utterly random, incoherent and disjointed rants and ramblings...

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

50 hours of gaming can kill you!

Some guy in South Korea died after playing an online FPS game for 50 hours straight (via boingboing). I guess to much of a good thing, can kill you after all.

For one, I'm glad this did not happen here in US. Both Hillary and the Biggest Douche would have a field day over this. We really do not need video game related deaths on top of the hot coffee crap going on.

All I can say here - this guy had issues. I do not think I could actually bear 50 straight hours of gaming - being online or offline. I mean I did spend whole weekends playing games at lan parties when I was in high school - but that's slightly different. You were there with group of friends, you took turns taunting each other, you made beer and pizza runs. In other words - we were not just sitting and playing. It was a social thing - just with allot of quake fortress mixed in :)

Planting yourself alone in front of the computer screen for days on end is no healthy - no matter how you look at it. Still... It seem kinda wimpy to keel over after mere 50 hours. In my undergrad career I went for days without sleep (mostly due to my advanced procrastination skills) but I never died. This guy had to have some pre-existing medical condition. Or he just was dehydrated, weakened by hunger because he forgot to bring food and water.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home