Terminally Incoherent

Utterly random, incoherent and disjointed rants and ramblings...

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Pope via SMS

Boinboing reports that a new SMS service was set up, which will rely quotes from Pope's speeches to the subscribers via text message. This is both interesting, and kindoff strange.

It's interesting, because it is nice to see the Catholic Church using modern technology this way. As far as I can tell, Catholics are a little behind on adopting the latest and greatest in thechnology to faith related business. For example I haven't heard of daily mass podcasts and stuff like that. But then again, I haven't really looked for things like that so maybe they are out there. But I always figured this type of thing is more up the protestant alley anyway. Catholic church was always really old school when it comes to technology.

It is strange because... Well, I always considered the church to be very old school (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and traditional. This venture into new technology is good, but I can't stop thinking abut "Buddy Christ" from Dogma. In other words - it's good that they are adopting new technologies, but I hope they are not planning to "pimp" their image to much. The new Pope seems to be a hard ass traditional though so this should not be the problem...

Still, every time I think about nightly prayer SMS I get that mental image of "Buddy Christ".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home