Terminally Incoherent

Utterly random, incoherent and disjointed rants and ramblings...

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Banker's Algorithm

I just found out that I was the only student in class who actually produced a working implementation of Banker's Algorithm for the OS class. My weekend was totally shot, but I submitted a finished product that was runnable some 20 minutes before the deadline.

It's now 4 days past the deadline, and no one else got even close to a working implementation. I'm not claiming my solution is good, or even that it is entirely correct. But it runs, and it appears to be doing what it is supposed to do.

The assignment didn't seem all that difficult to me. It was allot of work, but I have seen harder things that needed to be done. But then again, maybe my implementation is totally wrong. Perhaps I totally glossed over some of the hard parts everyone seemed to get stuck on... I don't know.

Dr. Robila said he will not count that problem towards the homework grade, but he will give extra credit to all people who got close to solving it. I guess that's good, because even if I'm wrong - I might get nice extra credit out of it...

If he checks it and it turns out to be correct though, I'm going to post it somewhere so that future generations can see a working java version :)

2 Comments:

  • At Fri Mar 31, 01:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    make it GPL and release it. i think i'm eventually going to do that with his one shell i had to write the previous year.

     
  • At Fri Mar 31, 10:58:00 AM, Blogger Luke said…

    Hehe... I'll do it, but I want to make sure I implemented it correctly. It would be kindof pointless releasing an implementation that sortoff-works but is funtamentally flawed.

    So I want to see what Robila says about it first :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home